Cross training day, HOORAY!!! I only had to do 30 minutes and I decided to get back in the pool. Swimming was my first sports love and I used to swim 45 mintues 5 times per week in college. I've badly fallen off the wagon and thought it would be a perfect way to spend my cross-training day. I figure it's good to add such a low impact sport in twice a week. I went to the pool at the Kennedy Club Fitness in SLO, which is a chlorine-free, Olympic-sized pool. I love that my skin doesn't smell like chlorine for days. The 50 meter lanes also add an unexpected mental challenge. I'll be cruising down the lane and my brain thinks "you're almost there" and then I peak forward and I'm only halfway down the lane.
Thanks to my Type A personality, I have a workout regime:
100 m Warm-Up
100 m. Kick
400 m. Freestyle
200 m. Backstroke + Breaststroke
400 m. Pull
400 m. Freestyle
Why Team in Training
Continuing cancer research to find advanced treatments for the disease is essential to utimately curing cancer. Since its formation in 1949, Team in Training has invested more than $600 million in research to leukemia, lymphoma, and myeloma. At least 75% of the money raised by participants goes directly towards this research.
When Mike and I decided we wanted to train to run a half-marathon, we found that Team in Training was a great fit. By receiving thorough training and guidance, we would be given all the tools necessary to run our first endurance race. The best part: we would raise money for cancer research! Cancer has touched both of our families: in addition to my dad's cancer, we've each lost a grandparent to the disease. We have an investment in cancer research, for our own long-term health!
Oh, and the bonus? I get to go to Seattle for the half-marathon!
To find out more about The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, please visit their website. To find out how Team in Training allocates donation funds, click here.
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Pretraining Week: Thursday
Posted by Christy at 7:52 AM

0 comments:
Post a Comment