CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Why Team in Training

When my dad was diagnosed with Stage II pancreatic cancer in January of 2004, his oncologist decided to try a relatively new chemotherapy cocktail. This new chemo cocktail was showing promising results for the usually deadly pancreatic cancer. My dad underwent chemotherapy and radiation treatment until September 2004. As of this January 2009, he is five years post-diagnosis and cancer free!

Continuing cancer research to find advanced treatments for the disease is essential to utimately curing cancer. Since its formation in 1949, Team in Training has invested more than $600 million in research to leukemia, lymphoma, and myeloma. At least 75% of the money raised by participants goes directly towards this research.

When Mike and I decided we wanted to train to run a half-marathon, we found that Team in Training was a great fit. By receiving thorough training and guidance, we would be given all the tools necessary to run our first endurance race. The best part: we would raise money for cancer research! Cancer has touched both of our families: in addition to my dad's cancer, we've each lost a grandparent to the disease. We have an investment in cancer research, for our own long-term health!

Oh, and the bonus? I get to go to Seattle for the half-marathon!

To find out more about The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, please visit their website.

To find out how Team in Training allocates donation funds, click here.


Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Quest for the Perfect Fuel

At the beginning of our group TNT run a few weeks ago, they gave us a clinic on staying fueled. We had samples of a bunch of Power Bar gels we could try. The gels are packed with electrolites, carbohydrates, and protein to give you the energy you need to run long distances. Even though I was warned they may be a little sweet, I was not prepared for how extremely sickening sweet they are. I chose the blandest flavors (vanilla, coffee, and chocolate - I didn't want to go near the tangerine or sour apple) and tried just the smallest bit of each (I probably had one gel pack total).
Now, those of you who go to Farmer's with me know I have a sweet tooth (my constant diversion towards Guiseppe's gelato...), but this was too much to handle! We had a six mile run and at about mile three I started to get nauseous - just in time for us to hit a crazy hill. Ick.




I knew that I would definitely need to find what worked for me, so I began experimenting. One friend suggested I try Gu Just Plain and I still couldn't believe how sweet it was!


I then found Cliff Shot Blocks, which taste like really large fruit snacks. They're really tasty, but kinda hard to chew while you're running (they're a little too large). Then I found the perfect product (for me): Jelly Belly Sport Beans. They're small and taste like really salty jelly bellys. I eat two beans every 5-10 minutes (depending on how long my run will be) and it keeps me fueled, yet my stomach doesn't feel like it's too full or nauseous. Score! I truly believe these are the key to getting me through my last two long runs!

0 comments: