CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Why Team in Training

When my dad was diagnosed with Stage II pancreatic cancer in January of 2004, his oncologist decided to try a relatively new chemotherapy cocktail. This new chemo cocktail was showing promising results for the usually deadly pancreatic cancer. My dad underwent chemotherapy and radiation treatment until September 2004. As of this January 2009, he is five years post-diagnosis and cancer free!

Continuing cancer research to find advanced treatments for the disease is essential to utimately curing cancer. Since its formation in 1949, Team in Training has invested more than $600 million in research to leukemia, lymphoma, and myeloma. At least 75% of the money raised by participants goes directly towards this research.

When Mike and I decided we wanted to train to run a half-marathon, we found that Team in Training was a great fit. By receiving thorough training and guidance, we would be given all the tools necessary to run our first endurance race. The best part: we would raise money for cancer research! Cancer has touched both of our families: in addition to my dad's cancer, we've each lost a grandparent to the disease. We have an investment in cancer research, for our own long-term health!

Oh, and the bonus? I get to go to Seattle for the half-marathon!

To find out more about The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, please visit their website.

To find out how Team in Training allocates donation funds, click here.


Monday, February 16, 2009

Fundraising Letter in the Mail

This weekend I sent out my fundraising letter, be expecting yours in the mail. Here it is, in case you want a sneak preview or don't get yours:

February 10, 2009

Dear Friend:

I am about to embark on a very exciting journey… This journey is something that may surprise you. I am training to complete the Mayor’s Half-Marathon in Anchorage, Alaska in June as well as fundraising $6,000.00 to help find a cure for blood cancers. As you may know, I have had arthritis in my right knee since I was four. It is now in remission and I am very new to running, so I have joined Team In Training (TNT) to help me make it across the finish line.
When my dad was diagnosed with Stage II pancreatic cancer in January of 2004, his oncologist decided to try a relatively new combination of chemotherapy drugs. This new chemo cocktail was showing promising results in the usually deadly pancreatic cancer. Pancreatic cancer has the lowest survival rate of all cancers – less than 5% of people diagnosed will live five years. My dad underwent chemotherapy and radiation treatments until September 2004. As of this January 2009, he is five years post-diagnosis and cancer free!

I also lost my grandmother to uterine cancer in 1997. I have an investment in cancer research, for my own long-term health! Continuing cancer research to find advanced treatments for the disease is essential to ultimately curing cancer. Since its formation in 1949, more than 380,000 TNT participants have raised more than $950 million for blood cancer research and patient services. I now get to be part of this amazing program!

If you have a friend or family member you’d like me to run in honor or memory of, please let me know and I will pin their name to my race day jersey. It will be a reminder when the pain sets in that I have a purpose and my ability to run should not be taken for granted.

The goal is that 75% of my participation minimum of $4,900.00 goes directly to research and patient services. All donations are 100% tax deductible, and our tax ID is 13-5644916. Feel free to pass this along to your friends & family. Also check to see if your company has a matching gifts program, it’s an easy way to double your donation! Every bit helps bring us closer to the finish line, and we'll get there with your help!

Please join me as I train for a cure by filling out the enclosed donor form, giving whatever donation you’d like and mail it back to me by March 7, 2009. Make all checks payable to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I do not need your money – the patients and future diagnosed do! You can also donate online on my TNT page at: http://pages.teamintraining.org/los/anchor09/cholmesrvg
Please check my blog (runningtoalaska.blogspot.com) often to track my training and cheer me on!

Thank you for taking the time and consideration to read this. No donation is too small! I truly appreciate your support.

Sincerely,



Christy (Elder) Holmes

P.S. I encourage you to review the Team In Training web site (www.teamintraining.org/los) or call their toll-free number 1-888-577-4868, to learn more about the Team In Training program Me with my favorite workout partners, Puck and Nugget

0 comments: