I've recently discovered an unexpected benefit of training for this half-marathon: a new perspective on my body.
I've been working out regularly (5-6 times per week) since I was 14. When I was 14, I went to physical therapy for the rheumatoid arthritis in my right knee (it was flaring up) and the physical therapist put me on a workout schedule - I needed to work out to 1) strengthen the muscles around my knee to better support it and 2) keep my weight down (to put less pressure on my knee).
I have to admit: since that session, I've been working out religiously - at times obsessively, for the last 13 years. To be frank, it hasn't always been a healthy habit. Up until three years ago, I couldn't even take a vacation without feeling guilty for not working out. I'd love to lie and say it was because I didn't want my knee to get weak, but let's be honest - I was obsessed with gaining weight. Anyone who's been chubby at one time in their life can probably identify with me. It's taken a lot of practice and determination to force myself to take days off in the last 13 years - say, when I'm sick, or really tired.
Still, my only purpose for working out has ever been to stay in shape. This type of goal - to keep your size down - is a really tough goal!! No matter what, you never feel like you're winning or improving, you're just maintaining.
Now that my goal has changed to running a half-marathon, my whole perspective on my body has changed. Now that I have a concrete goal to work towards, I no longer care about my size or my weight - I care about my strength and staying injury-free. I realize low-mileage and rest days for what they are - vitally important to the training. Feeling myself improve and get stronger has been so rewarding. I hope that after I complete this marathon I will take this attitude with me, because it's much improved!
Why Team in Training
Continuing cancer research to find advanced treatments for the disease is essential to utimately curing cancer. Since its formation in 1949, Team in Training has invested more than $600 million in research to leukemia, lymphoma, and myeloma. At least 75% of the money raised by participants goes directly towards this research.
When Mike and I decided we wanted to train to run a half-marathon, we found that Team in Training was a great fit. By receiving thorough training and guidance, we would be given all the tools necessary to run our first endurance race. The best part: we would raise money for cancer research! Cancer has touched both of our families: in addition to my dad's cancer, we've each lost a grandparent to the disease. We have an investment in cancer research, for our own long-term health!
Oh, and the bonus? I get to go to Seattle for the half-marathon!
To find out more about The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, please visit their website. To find out how Team in Training allocates donation funds, click here.
Sunday, February 22, 2009
An Unexpected Benefit
Posted by Christy at 9:16 AM

0 comments:
Post a Comment