Saturday was our Team in Training Group run - it was scheduled to be a 5.0 mile run. I was pretty nervous to run it, because I'd never run more than 4.0 miles before in my life. I was confident, however, that my training had prepared me to get to this point. I really love the fact that we have so long to train - the very gradual increase in mileage and rest weeks are really working to my advantage. I am very happy to report the run was GREAT. TNT chose a beautiful route (out on Orcutt Rd) with two semi-steep short hills between miles 3 and 4.
When we arrived at the water station, which is usually situated at about the half-way point, I had kinda forgotten to expect it. My heart sunk a little bit when I saw it, because I couldn't believe we were only half-way. Then I looked at my watch and it said 45:00 min - we were at mile 4! The last "mile" seemed like a breeze after that.
I was really proud of myself. When I told our team half-marathon mentor it was the longest I'd ever run, she was really surprised and said "but it seems like it's really easy for you (because I run with her, yeah, I know, I'm that student who hangs out with the teacher...)" - and she was right - it was coming easy to me. I could NOT believe it! I'd finished my longest run ever - 5.0 miles (or so I thought). When I went to map it on mapmyrun.com this morning, I discovered it was actually 5.5 miles - who hoo!!!!!! I've run farther than I thought! It made more sense, too, with my time - 1 hr 3 minutes. When I first saw that time, I was kinda surprised, because I didn't think I'd slowed my pace down that much.
I'm going to take a well-deserved rest Sunday.
After the run, I stopped by the Farmers Market in the SLO Promenade (by Bed Bath and Beyond) to get produce for the week. I'm going to make it my new weekly ritual - it's a great market! The prices were very competitive - and usually way cheaper than the grocery store - and it was all local. There were also many pesticide-free options to buy. See my blog post - Diet Overhaul - to see my new change of eating.
Why Team in Training
Continuing cancer research to find advanced treatments for the disease is essential to utimately curing cancer. Since its formation in 1949, Team in Training has invested more than $600 million in research to leukemia, lymphoma, and myeloma. At least 75% of the money raised by participants goes directly towards this research.
When Mike and I decided we wanted to train to run a half-marathon, we found that Team in Training was a great fit. By receiving thorough training and guidance, we would be given all the tools necessary to run our first endurance race. The best part: we would raise money for cancer research! Cancer has touched both of our families: in addition to my dad's cancer, we've each lost a grandparent to the disease. We have an investment in cancer research, for our own long-term health!
Oh, and the bonus? I get to go to Seattle for the half-marathon!
To find out more about The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, please visit their website. To find out how Team in Training allocates donation funds, click here.
Sunday, February 22, 2009
Week 3: Saturday
Posted by Christy at 8:46 AM

0 comments:
Post a Comment