Week 2 was a very encouraging week for me! Heavy rains put me in the gym on the treadmill twice last week, but don't worry, I had it set at a 1% grade to simulate running outside (and hey, since I'm still paying a gym membership, I might as well use it once in a while...)
Monday: Treadmill - this was my first time on the treadmill since I started training, and man, is it boring! I keep forgetting to charge my IPOD so it was just me and CNN on the TV.
Tuesday: I did the pre-training week's Downtown AG Loop. I had my first book club meeting (yipee!!) at 6:30 pm, and since I get home at 4:45 pm, I needed to be efficient. I was so excited - just a bit of motivation and I shaved three minutes off my time. It felt really good! The book club was fun, too :)
Wednesday: Back on the treadmill. Equally as boring, but I did have motivation to quicken the pace at the end and get going - this really weird guy got on the treadmill next to me. I was at the gym in SLO - I usually go to the Kennedy Club Fitness in AG - so it wasn't the usual crowd. This guy was wearing jeans, an oversized button-up flannel, heavy leather boots, and a hat with mosquito net covering his neck and face. Running on the treadmill. Quickly and singing (very loudly). He wasn't wearing headphones so it was just a song in his head. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was training for a remote cross-country run/backpacking trip (if that even exists...). I'll also give him props for being able to run in heavy boots, clothing, and sing loudly. That alone takes a lot of energy and breath! When he started making comments to the person on the treadmill on his other side, I decided to finish up (I wasn't feeling too talkative).
Thursday: Today I had to do a snowy plover survey, which was similar to last week, except I had to walk back (last week I got a ride), so it was almost twice as long. High tide and big waves today! This was my cross-training day.
Friday: Rest day!
Saturday: First Team In Training group run and I loved it! Running in a group is great - it makes the time fly by and gives you that extra push to go a little faster. I was nervous about running the four miles, but it was relatively easy! I think the gradual increase in mileage is really working out for me! We met at Meadow Park in San Luis Obispo at 7:30 am. Lucky for us, it was clear (though really cold), so we got running. One big hill, one small hill, one small downhill, and the rest flat. My first two miles were 9 minute miles and my second two I slowed down to 12 minute miles, which is a little backwards, but I'll get the hang of it. I was proud, nonetheless. Now, I need to go get a hydration belt and running gloves (my hands were numb the first two miles). I did go out and buy some new Underarmour workout clothes, too.
Why Team in Training
Continuing cancer research to find advanced treatments for the disease is essential to utimately curing cancer. Since its formation in 1949, Team in Training has invested more than $600 million in research to leukemia, lymphoma, and myeloma. At least 75% of the money raised by participants goes directly towards this research.
When Mike and I decided we wanted to train to run a half-marathon, we found that Team in Training was a great fit. By receiving thorough training and guidance, we would be given all the tools necessary to run our first endurance race. The best part: we would raise money for cancer research! Cancer has touched both of our families: in addition to my dad's cancer, we've each lost a grandparent to the disease. We have an investment in cancer research, for our own long-term health!
Oh, and the bonus? I get to go to Seattle for the half-marathon!
To find out more about The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, please visit their website. To find out how Team in Training allocates donation funds, click here.
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Week 2 Recap
Posted by Christy at 10:49 AM

0 comments:
Post a Comment